Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
Providing Oversight, Ensuring Compliance
The USDA Animal Welfare Act and the NIH Public Health Service Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Animals require that institutions conducting research with animals establish an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). The IACUC provides oversight and helps ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, and policies governing the care and use of research and teaching animals.
- Review the research facility's program at least once every six months to ensure humane animal care and use.
- Inspect all of the research facility's animal facilities, including animal study areas, at least once every six months.
- Prepare reports of these inspections and submit them to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Innovation (OVCRI) or the chancellor.
- Review concerns or complaints involving animal care and use at the university.
- Make recommendations to the VCRI related to any aspect of the animal program.
- Review and assess proposed activities or changes related to the care and use of animals.
- Conduct ongoing reviews of activities at least once a year.
- Suspend activities involving animals that are not in accordance with guidelines and requirements approved by the IACUC.
- For suspended activities, work with the OVCRI to review the reasons for suspension, take appropriate corrective action, and report that action with a full explanation to the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and any federal agency that funds the activity.
- USDA Registration: #33-R-0029
- PHS Assurance: D16-00075 (A3118-01)
- AAALAC: #00766
- Accredited campuswide since 6/8/2001
IACUC Membership and Members
Members of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) at the University of Illinois are appointed by the chancellor and the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation (VCRI). The committee comprises twenty voting members that include:
- Four DVMs with training or experience in laboratory animal science and medicine
- Two non-affiliated members
- Eight practicing scientists experienced in research involving animals
- Three members whose primary interests are in a nonscientific area
- Committee Members
- Ryan N. Dilger, Chair
- Jeffrey Hoover, Vice-Chair
- Sarah Allison
- Linda Arseneau
- Hong Chen
- Bailey Conrady, Non-Affiliated Member
- Kari Foss
- Dennis D. French
- Santiago Gutierrez-Nibeyro
- Courtney Hayes
- Nicole Herndon
- CheMyong (Jay) Ko
- Nu-Chu Liang
- Daniel Llano
- Erik Nelson
- Cory Suski
- Michael Vitoux, Non-Affiliated Member
- Josh Whitson
- Jessica Xu
- Patricia Jones, Non-voting Member
Please direct general inquires to IACUC@illinois.edu or call 217-333-7789.
Room 114, MC-193
901 S. Matthews
Urbana, IL 61801
- IACUC Contacts
Ryan N. Dilger
Animal Sciences Laboratory
Judy Van Cleeff
Room 109 Observatory
Room 118 Observatory
Room 112 Observatory
IACUC Office Administrator
Room 114 Observatory
217-333-7789 or 217-300-1960